- The icy shock forces your red blood cells to surface, helping to warm extremities and adapt us to the cold.
- It boosts your immune system by increasing your white blood cell count as your body is forced to react to changing conditions.
- It gives you a natural high - in its release of Endorphins & Adrenaline.
- It is a great way to reduce stress. Your body is thrown into 'Fight or Flight' mode, where all other anxieties are suppressed to the thought 'How will I manage this cold situation'? The cold captivates you fully and in this sense, offers perspective on other problems.
- It is a great opportunity to regulate your breathing to help you cope in a situation of stress.
- It offers a chance to push yourself in a totally different environment. Once you leave the water, (with a warm towel and cup of tea), you will look back at what you have just done with a great sense of achievement.
- Admittedly, it is not the most favourable thing to throw oneself into a body of cold water - but it will leave you feeling on Cloud Nine once you've accomplished it.